Monday, February 28, 2011

Another perspective of seeds....

While out shopping the other day for some upholstery fabric (yes, another project), we ran into an uncommon situation. The woman measuring our fabric was politely chatting with us about being new to the area and the location of our home in the historic district. Suddenly, a co-worker of hers burst out with 'Well, my mama and daddy lived here when those homes were built and they never liked it one bit.' The 1st woman tried to continue with the things she liked about the little houses but the 2nd woman was not to be hushed. 'Those houses were just given to people and it wasn't right. My parents had to pay for their house.'

My thought was 'hmm....well, we certainly paid for our house, so I don't understand why we're being inflicted with such harshness'. I said something about the museum reflecting that folks in the homestead houses worked for the opportunity to live in the homes and did not own deeds for the property until they had paid for them. I suppose that I was foolish to think that no one had ever mentioned this to the woman before.

Continuing as if I had not spoken, the woman said 'AND those people weren't even from Cumberland county - they came in here from all over the place' Visibly agitated, she then grabbed a few rolls of fabric and stalked from the room.

Getting the hint that counter information was not going to pacify this poor, angry woman, neither I nor my husband said anything else to her. We continued chatting with the 1st woman as we made our purchase.

On our drive home, we spoke of the poor woman and the deep bitterness that was apparent in this exchange. I truly believe that woman was going to remain angry for the remainder of the day. Misinformation planted within her family over 80 years ago still remains and leaves within her a spirit of anger over the believed injustice of it all. She reflected at least two generations of bitterness over the matter.

With our preoccupation of garden preparations, seeds came to mind and my thoughts turned to God's designs for us. Whatever is planted within our hearts as seeds surely produces a full grown plant later on. We all would like to have the lovely appearance of beautiful flowers or healthy vegetables, wouldn't we? How easily ugly weeds can be the evidence of what is rooted within. We all are vulnerable to reflect bitterness just like that poor woman. In a moment of anger, we reflect that aspect of ourselves rather than much more attractive features of our character.

The Bible says in Eph. 4:31-32 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

This post is not intended to bash the poor lady that is already so angry, nor to portray that I am 'better' than she. I've certainly had my own occurrences that made me angry and planted bitterness in my heart. I have been thinking of her off and on the past few days and hoping that someday she can release this bitter root within her. I also take the example to heart, to think carefully about what dwells within, to question sources of information that provoke anger and to take heed to this passage that holds the key to reflecting the love of Christ. By demonstrating kindness, tenderness and forgiveness that is only possible through His alteration of our imperfections, we can be sure to not allow this type of ugliness to take root within us, depriving us of peace and joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment